Skip to main content

French Chocolate Croissants ($0.14 per Serving)

French Chocolate Croissants ($0.14  per serving)


Several years ago I found so many Pinterest Pins on making French Chocolate Croissants, but they
were the same recipes with very minor changes.  I tried this basic recipe and it quickly became one
of my son’s favorite breakfast holiday treat. I tend to make it for Christmas, Easter, Etc.


Here is how I do it:


Ingredients


¼ cup of Chocolate Chips
Refrigerator Crescent rolls (8 count)
1 Egg


Directions:
I open up the crescent rolls and separate them into their individual triangles.  


I then divide the chocolate chips between the eight triangles and slightly press them into the dough.


I roll them up into the croissant shape and apply an egg wash.


Bake at 350 degrees for 12-16 minutes.  


Enjoy.


Recipe Notes:
  • Mini Chocolate Chips work the best.
  • Egg Wash is created by cracking an egg into a bowl, adding a little water and whisking.  
  • If you have a child, make 2 batches because they will not last.


~ Savings ~
Cost Breakdown:


Strategic Shopping
¼ cup of Chocolate Chips (Aldi Chips @$1.29 per bag), ¼ cup = $.016
Refrigerator Crescent rolls (8 count) (generic)= $.89
1 Egg (1 dozen= $.88), 1 egg = $.07


Total Recipe Cost = $1.12 for 8 Crescent Rolls
Cost per Crescent Roll = $0.14


Regular Shopping
¼ cup of Chocolate Chips 3.39 per bag, ¼ cup= $0.42
Refrigerator Crescent rolls (8 count)- $2.49
1 Egg (1 dozen= $1.19), 1 egg= $ 0.10


Total Recipe Cost = $3.01 for 8 Crescent Rolls
Cost per Crescent Roll = $0.38


The Contender:
Kroger Bakery Plain Crescent Rolls ($3.49 for 4 Count)
Cost Per Roll= $0.87


Savings:
Strategic Shopping= 73%
Regular Shopping=49%


"Over a Year" Scenario:


Strategic Shopping
Homemade Chocolate Crescent Rolls (8 Count) 1 X per month or 12 X per year = $13.44
Kroger Crescent Rolls (8 Count) $6.98 X 12 = $83.76


*Money Saved = $70.32


General Shopping
Homemade Chocolate Crescent Rolls (8 Count) 1 X per month or 12 X per year = $36.12
Kroger Crescent Rolls (8 Count) $6.98 X 12 = $83.76


*Money Saved = $47.64- $70.32

Have you tried this Recipe? Leave a Comment Below and let me know how you liked it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Black Bean and Corn Salad--> $0.44 per Serving

  Black Bean and Corn Salad This recipe comes from Pennies & Pancakes.   Unfortunately, this blog is no longer active, so I am not sure how much longer we will have access to her recipes.    Here is the link:   Black Bean and Corn Salad.   Therefore, I am repeating her recipe below, because it is just that good.  Makes 7 Cups  Ingredients:  2 15 oz. cans low-sodium black beans (drained and rinsed) 1 15 oz. can sweet whole kernel corn (drained and rinsed) 1 red bell pepper (diced) 1/3 cup red onion (finely diced) 2 scallions (finely diced) 2 cloves garlic (minced) 1/3 cup diced cilantro 2 Tbsp. lime juice (Or the juice of 2 limes) 1 tsp salt *opt. 1 small jalepeno (minced) Directions:  Open and rinse both the black beans and the whole-kernel corn.   Then place them into a bowl.  Next, cut up the pepper and onion.   Add it to the bowl.  Finely chop the cilantro and scallions,  and mince the garlic to add t...

The Frugal Five: #49

  The Frugal Five: #49 With inflation on the rise and our salaries not being able to keep up, it seems like we have taken a pay cut and must be more careful with our money.   The Frugal Five is a series where we celebrate the daily or weekly activities that help us live a frugal life.     .          1- Haircut Savings Since haircuts are $30 per cut plus tip, each time my husband asks me to cut his hair, I am happy to.    This is a huge saving!   He gets his hair cut every other week, so on average, we save $60 per month on just his haircuts.    2- Beverages from Home  Each day I make coffee and take a travel mug with me to work.   In addition, I make homemade tea to pack for my lunch.    Since Starbucks’ coffee prices have gone up, my daily savings for my daily coffee has increased to about $5.75 per day.    In addition, sodas at work run about $2.00 per...

The Frugal Five: #46

  The Frugal Five: #46 With inflation on the rise and our salaries not being able to keep up, it seems like we have taken a pay cut and must be more careful with our money.   The Frugal Five is a series where we celebrate the daily or weekly activities that help us live a frugal life.     This week I focused on garden frugal ideas and savings.  Gardens take a lot of work and can take a chunk of cash.   Let's see how we can keep the price down and get the same results.          1- Free Seeds  How can we get free seeds and when do we start planting for the spring?   Previously, I was able to pick up seeds from my local library through a seed-sharing program.   However, since we moved, my local library doesn’t participate in this type of program.     Therefore, I looked for other opportunities to secure free seeds.   I found the Free Seed Project.  Through this ...