Skip to main content

Manicure On A Budget

Manicure

    Getting a Manicure can range in price from $10.00 - $50.00. Although the experience can
be exceptional, you can have a very similar experience at home for a fraction of the price.  
Over the holiday season, I was able to get several nail polishes for free and nail polish gift
sets (9 small bottles per set) for $.99 each. In addition, you will need a few nail salon tools
such as nail file, buffer, nail polish remover, cuticle tools, cotton balls, and Q-tips.  

    I have systematically acquired a variety of beauty tools at a discount over the years. Thus
creating the ability to give me a manicure at home for far less than the salons. However, I
gave myself a home manicure long before I had all of the tools.

Let’s get started with how easy it is.

Tools:

The first thing I do is remove all of my old polish and wash my hands.  This will create a
a clean slate for the next week.

I select my polish based on nail length and weekly activities.  I have found the that
better/more costly nail polishes provide a better coat and will decrease chipping.  In
addition, it is important to take the time to apply a top coat to your polish in order to extend
its look.  

Now it is time to actually get started with the main parts of the manicure.  I soak my hands to
soften them and prepare the cuticles for maintenance. Using the cuticle pusher I push back
all of the cuticles to produce a nice shape to your nail.  

I then shape the nails into a square shape and buff them in order to prepare them to take
the polish better.  

The next step is to apply your color polish 2 times.  It is important to all drying time in-between applications.  I also try to match the application brush strokes. After allowing the
a second application to fully dry, then apply the topcoat to the nails and allow to dry.  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Black Bean and Corn Salad--> $0.44 per Serving

  Black Bean and Corn Salad This recipe comes from Pennies & Pancakes.   Unfortunately, this blog is no longer active, so I am not sure how much longer we will have access to her recipes.    Here is the link:   Black Bean and Corn Salad.   Therefore, I am repeating her recipe below, because it is just that good.  Makes 7 Cups  Ingredients:  2 15 oz. cans low-sodium black beans (drained and rinsed) 1 15 oz. can sweet whole kernel corn (drained and rinsed) 1 red bell pepper (diced) 1/3 cup red onion (finely diced) 2 scallions (finely diced) 2 cloves garlic (minced) 1/3 cup diced cilantro 2 Tbsp. lime juice (Or the juice of 2 limes) 1 tsp salt *opt. 1 small jalepeno (minced) Directions:  Open and rinse both the black beans and the whole-kernel corn.   Then place them into a bowl.  Next, cut up the pepper and onion.   Add it to the bowl.  Finely chop the cilantro and scallions,  and mince the garlic to add t...

The Frugal Five: #49

  The Frugal Five: #49 With inflation on the rise and our salaries not being able to keep up, it seems like we have taken a pay cut and must be more careful with our money.   The Frugal Five is a series where we celebrate the daily or weekly activities that help us live a frugal life.     .          1- Haircut Savings Since haircuts are $30 per cut plus tip, each time my husband asks me to cut his hair, I am happy to.    This is a huge saving!   He gets his hair cut every other week, so on average, we save $60 per month on just his haircuts.    2- Beverages from Home  Each day I make coffee and take a travel mug with me to work.   In addition, I make homemade tea to pack for my lunch.    Since Starbucks’ coffee prices have gone up, my daily savings for my daily coffee has increased to about $5.75 per day.    In addition, sodas at work run about $2.00 per...

The Frugal Five: #46

  The Frugal Five: #46 With inflation on the rise and our salaries not being able to keep up, it seems like we have taken a pay cut and must be more careful with our money.   The Frugal Five is a series where we celebrate the daily or weekly activities that help us live a frugal life.     This week I focused on garden frugal ideas and savings.  Gardens take a lot of work and can take a chunk of cash.   Let's see how we can keep the price down and get the same results.          1- Free Seeds  How can we get free seeds and when do we start planting for the spring?   Previously, I was able to pick up seeds from my local library through a seed-sharing program.   However, since we moved, my local library doesn’t participate in this type of program.     Therefore, I looked for other opportunities to secure free seeds.   I found the Free Seed Project.  Through this ...