Skip to main content

Winterizing Your Home on a Budget-Week 4

Winterizing Your Home on a Budget
Week 4


Winter has arrived and trying to keep your home warm is quite the challenge.  If you are not planning
on how to heat your home efficiently then you are planning on failing at the job.  


Just think about it. If you are heating your home to 70 degrees and it is 20 degrees outside then you
will be heating the outside and your furnace will run non-stop resulting in higher heating bills.  


This series is geared towards simple things you can do to help eliminate heat from escaping and
keep your heating bills in check while on a budget.  


This week’s focus is on your Preparations for Winter.  
Take care of your Water Heater.  It is time to flush out your water heat and check it for leaks.  When I
have my furnace services, my technician also checks my water heater.  In addition, several people
have suggested turning down your water heater a few degrees and/or wrapping it, since during the
winter time warm water seems hotter than it really is and the wrap keeps the warmth in the heater
system.  I have not tried this yet because we keep our water heater at a low temperature already.
 
Be Prepared to Shovel.  Check and make sure you have snow shovels, ice melt/salt, etc.  During
this time of year the prices will be at a premium and you may not be able to get what you need once
a snow storm comes.  I try to prepare the year before because I can usually get a deal at the end of
the season when stores are trying to get rid of these items.  Then I just store them in the garage and
I am set for the new season.
Check your electrical outlets for drafts.  If you find them, insulate them with wall plate insulation
gaskets.  A 25 pack will run about $10.00 - $15.00.
Make sure you have a winter survival kit that includes a flashlight, batteries, matches, non-electric
radio and enough food and water for seven days.

If you have missed any of my previous weekly posts on Winterizing Your Home on a Budget,
you can scroll down and view them on the blog or search using Winterizing Your Home.

Hit the subscribe button and never miss a post.  There are more tips and tricks to living the sweet life
on a budget.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Black Bean and Corn Salad--> $0.44 per Serving

  Black Bean and Corn Salad This recipe comes from Pennies & Pancakes.   Unfortunately, this blog is no longer active, so I am not sure how much longer we will have access to her recipes.    Here is the link:   Black Bean and Corn Salad.   Therefore, I am repeating her recipe below, because it is just that good.  Makes 7 Cups  Ingredients:  2 15 oz. cans low-sodium black beans (drained and rinsed) 1 15 oz. can sweet whole kernel corn (drained and rinsed) 1 red bell pepper (diced) 1/3 cup red onion (finely diced) 2 scallions (finely diced) 2 cloves garlic (minced) 1/3 cup diced cilantro 2 Tbsp. lime juice (Or the juice of 2 limes) 1 tsp salt *opt. 1 small jalepeno (minced) Directions:  Open and rinse both the black beans and the whole-kernel corn.   Then place them into a bowl.  Next, cut up the pepper and onion.   Add it to the bowl.  Finely chop the cilantro and scallions,  and mince the garlic to add t...

The Frugal Five: #49

  The Frugal Five: #49 With inflation on the rise and our salaries not being able to keep up, it seems like we have taken a pay cut and must be more careful with our money.   The Frugal Five is a series where we celebrate the daily or weekly activities that help us live a frugal life.     .          1- Haircut Savings Since haircuts are $30 per cut plus tip, each time my husband asks me to cut his hair, I am happy to.    This is a huge saving!   He gets his hair cut every other week, so on average, we save $60 per month on just his haircuts.    2- Beverages from Home  Each day I make coffee and take a travel mug with me to work.   In addition, I make homemade tea to pack for my lunch.    Since Starbucks’ coffee prices have gone up, my daily savings for my daily coffee has increased to about $5.75 per day.    In addition, sodas at work run about $2.00 per...

The Frugal Five: #46

  The Frugal Five: #46 With inflation on the rise and our salaries not being able to keep up, it seems like we have taken a pay cut and must be more careful with our money.   The Frugal Five is a series where we celebrate the daily or weekly activities that help us live a frugal life.     This week I focused on garden frugal ideas and savings.  Gardens take a lot of work and can take a chunk of cash.   Let's see how we can keep the price down and get the same results.          1- Free Seeds  How can we get free seeds and when do we start planting for the spring?   Previously, I was able to pick up seeds from my local library through a seed-sharing program.   However, since we moved, my local library doesn’t participate in this type of program.     Therefore, I looked for other opportunities to secure free seeds.   I found the Free Seed Project.  Through this ...