Skip to main content

Frugal Friday- March 9,2018


Making small changes that have big results. 


On Friday’s I share 5 frugal ideas to help you maintain The Sweet Life on a budget.  These things will have money saving ideas and/or a way to enhance your lifestyle for very little money.

Our household is a little tired this week from all the travel last week. We needed to really break the tasks up into small pieces and do a little bit each day because we didn't have our weekend preparation time for the week and I worked all week. Soooo- Here we go.

1. I made sure we packed lunch every day. This was a little challenging because I usually pack all of our lunches on Sunday and we just didn't have the time. However, with a 15 minute commitment each night to pack lunches for the next day, we were able to make it through the week. Our lunches were basic (e.g. salads, sandwiches, or left overs, fruit and vegetable), but everyone enjoyed them each day.
Image result for packed lunches
2. We ran out of strawberries on Monday and waited to purchase more until they went on sale for half the price. In addition, we were able to get some chicken to put into the freezer at a low price. Score- Strawberries and a little re-stock action.

3. After our large eating out bill this last weekend, we were dedicated to eating in every night this week. Dinner at home each night- Check!
Image result for dinner at home
4. I used my Fitbit to meet my personal physical activity goal and add points to my health care total which should net me an additional $50.00 towards my HSA.
Image result for fitbit
5. I needed to deposit my ATT refund check and went to our bank branch at our local Giant Eagle. While there I took advantage of their "eAdvantage" item this week for a free McCormick's breakfast spice. It is Red Pepper Salsa and I can't wait to try it in our egg bake dish.

Image result for giant advantage




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Black Bean and Corn Salad--> $0.44 per Serving

  Black Bean and Corn Salad This recipe comes from Pennies & Pancakes.   Unfortunately, this blog is no longer active, so I am not sure how much longer we will have access to her recipes.    Here is the link:   Black Bean and Corn Salad.   Therefore, I am repeating her recipe below, because it is just that good.  Makes 7 Cups  Ingredients:  2 15 oz. cans low-sodium black beans (drained and rinsed) 1 15 oz. can sweet whole kernel corn (drained and rinsed) 1 red bell pepper (diced) 1/3 cup red onion (finely diced) 2 scallions (finely diced) 2 cloves garlic (minced) 1/3 cup diced cilantro 2 Tbsp. lime juice (Or the juice of 2 limes) 1 tsp salt *opt. 1 small jalepeno (minced) Directions:  Open and rinse both the black beans and the whole-kernel corn.   Then place them into a bowl.  Next, cut up the pepper and onion.   Add it to the bowl.  Finely chop the cilantro and scallions,  and mince the garlic to add t...

The Frugal Five: #49

  The Frugal Five: #49 With inflation on the rise and our salaries not being able to keep up, it seems like we have taken a pay cut and must be more careful with our money.   The Frugal Five is a series where we celebrate the daily or weekly activities that help us live a frugal life.     .          1- Haircut Savings Since haircuts are $30 per cut plus tip, each time my husband asks me to cut his hair, I am happy to.    This is a huge saving!   He gets his hair cut every other week, so on average, we save $60 per month on just his haircuts.    2- Beverages from Home  Each day I make coffee and take a travel mug with me to work.   In addition, I make homemade tea to pack for my lunch.    Since Starbucks’ coffee prices have gone up, my daily savings for my daily coffee has increased to about $5.75 per day.    In addition, sodas at work run about $2.00 per...

The Frugal Five: #46

  The Frugal Five: #46 With inflation on the rise and our salaries not being able to keep up, it seems like we have taken a pay cut and must be more careful with our money.   The Frugal Five is a series where we celebrate the daily or weekly activities that help us live a frugal life.     This week I focused on garden frugal ideas and savings.  Gardens take a lot of work and can take a chunk of cash.   Let's see how we can keep the price down and get the same results.          1- Free Seeds  How can we get free seeds and when do we start planting for the spring?   Previously, I was able to pick up seeds from my local library through a seed-sharing program.   However, since we moved, my local library doesn’t participate in this type of program.     Therefore, I looked for other opportunities to secure free seeds.   I found the Free Seed Project.  Through this ...