Skip to main content
Frugal Friday
On Friday’s I share 5 frugal ideas to help you maintain The Sweet Life on a budget.  These things will have money saving ideas and/or a way to enhance your lifestyle for very little money.


  • Balancing very simple/quick/frugal meals with one or two more expensive speciality meals.  For example, I always have a combination of some of these frugal meals on my meal plan:
    • A Vegetarian Pasta Dish w/ Green Salad
    • Some form of Mexican Dish such as tacos, enchiladas, etc.
    • Soup and Salad
    • Sandwich and Salad
    • Stirred Fried Rice
    • Homemade Pizza and a Salad
         For my speciality meals, I choose family favorites such as
    • Chicken and Mushrooms
    • Fish such as Salmon, Cod, Tilapia
    • Greek Style Chicken, Salad and Pita Bread  


  • Creating restaurant quality lunches on a budget.  Here are a few examples:
    • Knock Off Starbucks Bento Boxes- I include 2 hard boiled eggs ($. 08), a tablespoon of peanut butter (about $.25), 5 crackers (about $.25) and seasonal fruit (½ apple, some grapes- about $.25), 1oz sale cheese (about $.19), a bottle of water (free).  For a total of $1.12 you have a lovely lunch.  
    • Sandwich w/ side Salad
      • BLT (Bread ($.26), Bacon ($.50), Mayo (guessing at $.25), Lettuce ($1.00 for both the sandwich and salad), Tomato ($.50 for both the sandwich and salad), Salad (leftover lettuce and tomato- free, Onion (guessing at $.10), Balsamic Dressing ($.50).  For a total of $3.11 you have lunch from a nice cafe.  


  • Clean your house a little at a time daily.  I’m talking 15-20 minutes a day.  WHAT????  This tip will help you to maintain your homes value with the added bonus of being energized and experience a sense of satisfaction when you are finished.   


  • Practice indulgence daily or weekly.  This could look like having a cup of tea each evening, or cuddling up on the sofa and reading a good book or watching a movie.  The book or movie can be gotten for free from your local library and the cup of tea will cost at most $.16.  If you really want to indulge shop at a thrift or antique shop for a special tea cup for your experience.  When I was living down south a friend turned me onto the experience of drinking tea out of China that just elevates the experience to a whole new level.  The cup can be gotten for under $1.00 or just look through what you already own and find that special tea cup.  I know that I have boxes of dishes handed down to me from my family that I can’t wait to explore.

  • Check your clothing when you do laundry to see if anything needs mending.  With a little basic sewing skills you can ensure that your clothing looks neat and your outfits well put together.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Black Bean and Corn Salad--> $0.44 per Serving

  Black Bean and Corn Salad This recipe comes from Pennies & Pancakes.   Unfortunately, this blog is no longer active, so I am not sure how much longer we will have access to her recipes.    Here is the link:   Black Bean and Corn Salad.   Therefore, I am repeating her recipe below, because it is just that good.  Makes 7 Cups  Ingredients:  2 15 oz. cans low-sodium black beans (drained and rinsed) 1 15 oz. can sweet whole kernel corn (drained and rinsed) 1 red bell pepper (diced) 1/3 cup red onion (finely diced) 2 scallions (finely diced) 2 cloves garlic (minced) 1/3 cup diced cilantro 2 Tbsp. lime juice (Or the juice of 2 limes) 1 tsp salt *opt. 1 small jalepeno (minced) Directions:  Open and rinse both the black beans and the whole-kernel corn.   Then place them into a bowl.  Next, cut up the pepper and onion.   Add it to the bowl.  Finely chop the cilantro and scallions,  and mince the garlic to add t...

The Frugal Five: #49

  The Frugal Five: #49 With inflation on the rise and our salaries not being able to keep up, it seems like we have taken a pay cut and must be more careful with our money.   The Frugal Five is a series where we celebrate the daily or weekly activities that help us live a frugal life.     .          1- Haircut Savings Since haircuts are $30 per cut plus tip, each time my husband asks me to cut his hair, I am happy to.    This is a huge saving!   He gets his hair cut every other week, so on average, we save $60 per month on just his haircuts.    2- Beverages from Home  Each day I make coffee and take a travel mug with me to work.   In addition, I make homemade tea to pack for my lunch.    Since Starbucks’ coffee prices have gone up, my daily savings for my daily coffee has increased to about $5.75 per day.    In addition, sodas at work run about $2.00 per...

The Frugal Five: #46

  The Frugal Five: #46 With inflation on the rise and our salaries not being able to keep up, it seems like we have taken a pay cut and must be more careful with our money.   The Frugal Five is a series where we celebrate the daily or weekly activities that help us live a frugal life.     This week I focused on garden frugal ideas and savings.  Gardens take a lot of work and can take a chunk of cash.   Let's see how we can keep the price down and get the same results.          1- Free Seeds  How can we get free seeds and when do we start planting for the spring?   Previously, I was able to pick up seeds from my local library through a seed-sharing program.   However, since we moved, my local library doesn’t participate in this type of program.     Therefore, I looked for other opportunities to secure free seeds.   I found the Free Seed Project.  Through this ...