Skip to main content

The Frugal Five: #111

 


With inflation on the rise and salaries not increasing, our ability to make ends meet is decreasing. Therefore, we must be more careful with our money. The Frugal Five is a series in which we celebrate the daily or weekly activities that help us live a frugal life.    


I am exploring ways to reduce costs during busy weeks. One strategy is to watch the pennies because they add up. Here are some of my tips and tricks.   


1- Garden Update 


I have been enjoying harvesting a few items from the garden.     Strawberries are ready for picking, and our family has eaten them as fast as they ripen.     In addition, the kale has been growing very well.   I have several 2-cup packages in the freezer waiting for winter soups.    Another way I use kale is to mix it with cabbage and lettuce to bulk up our salads.      


Unfortunately,  the peas have not grown this year, so I have substituted beans in their place.    Now I just have to wait until they start producing.   I have planted my tomatoes, various peppers, and the rest of the cucumbers.    Finally, my friend gave me 2 additional heirloom tomatoes to plant and collect seeds from at the end of the season.      These plants get huge, and I am excited to see what they do.    


2- Eagle Scout Project Food


My son is finishing up his Eagle Scout Project, and the team needs to be fed, so instead of ordering pizza and picking it up, I decided to cook.     I picked up the ingredients for baked ziti with bread as their lunch.    


However, the bulk of the money was spent on snacks.   UGG!   I reduced the price slightly by shopping the sales, so I picked up soda for half price and chips for $2.00 a bag.   


3-  Summer Tasks 


Our home is filled with antiques, and since we moved into a house with a boiler system for heating, special care needs to be given to our cherished possessions.      This means I need to start oiling my furniture to prevent cracking, waxing the drawers, and assessing any damage that has occurred this year for repairs.   I have created a schedule and will systematically care for each piece of furniture this summer.   


4- Homemade Items on the Rise 


Since I am finished my 9 to 5 for the school year, I will have more time to make homemade items such as yogurt, granola bars, snacks, etc.     This will save us money on groceries.     In addition, I am working on developing a few freezer meals that my family loves, so next school year we won’t eat out as frequently.    


5-  Hair Care→ Cutting the Cost 


My hair salon will offer a discounted gift card twice a year.    I take advantage of this each time.    The officers are usually in May (Mother’s Day) and December (Christmas).   I calculated the amount of money I typically would spend from May to November and purchased a card for that amount.    In addition, I participate in their loyalty program, so I will also receive a $50.00 discount each time I fill up the card.    The program has changed a little, so I recalculated how often I will receive the discount and moving forward to adjust my gift card purchase based on the math. 


In addition, I cut my husband’s hair every two weeks, which saves us $80.00 a month.   On occasion, we will invest in a good pair of hair clippers, but even with that expense, we are saving a lot of money each year.     


What Free-bees have you been able to pick up this year?   The  2024 Free-Bee Summary has been posted.    If you missed it, then click on the link below. 


Here is my list:

Do you want to see my last post?   

Just click on the picture for the link. 



Please leave a comment below with your ways of saving money this week.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Black Bean and Corn Salad--> $0.44 per Serving

  Black Bean and Corn Salad This recipe comes from Pennies & Pancakes.   Unfortunately, this blog is no longer active, so I am not sure how much longer we will have access to her recipes.    Here is the link:   Black Bean and Corn Salad.   Therefore, I am repeating her recipe below, because it is just that good.  Makes 7 Cups  Ingredients:  2 15 oz. cans low-sodium black beans (drained and rinsed) 1 15 oz. can sweet whole kernel corn (drained and rinsed) 1 red bell pepper (diced) 1/3 cup red onion (finely diced) 2 scallions (finely diced) 2 cloves garlic (minced) 1/3 cup diced cilantro 2 Tbsp. lime juice (Or the juice of 2 limes) 1 tsp salt *opt. 1 small jalepeno (minced) Directions:  Open and rinse both the black beans and the whole-kernel corn.   Then place them into a bowl.  Next, cut up the pepper and onion.   Add it to the bowl.  Finely chop the cilantro and scallions,  and mince the garlic to add t...

The Frugal Five: #49

  The Frugal Five: #49 With inflation on the rise and our salaries not being able to keep up, it seems like we have taken a pay cut and must be more careful with our money.   The Frugal Five is a series where we celebrate the daily or weekly activities that help us live a frugal life.     .          1- Haircut Savings Since haircuts are $30 per cut plus tip, each time my husband asks me to cut his hair, I am happy to.    This is a huge saving!   He gets his hair cut every other week, so on average, we save $60 per month on just his haircuts.    2- Beverages from Home  Each day I make coffee and take a travel mug with me to work.   In addition, I make homemade tea to pack for my lunch.    Since Starbucks’ coffee prices have gone up, my daily savings for my daily coffee has increased to about $5.75 per day.    In addition, sodas at work run about $2.00 per...

The Frugal Five: #46

  The Frugal Five: #46 With inflation on the rise and our salaries not being able to keep up, it seems like we have taken a pay cut and must be more careful with our money.   The Frugal Five is a series where we celebrate the daily or weekly activities that help us live a frugal life.     This week I focused on garden frugal ideas and savings.  Gardens take a lot of work and can take a chunk of cash.   Let's see how we can keep the price down and get the same results.          1- Free Seeds  How can we get free seeds and when do we start planting for the spring?   Previously, I was able to pick up seeds from my local library through a seed-sharing program.   However, since we moved, my local library doesn’t participate in this type of program.     Therefore, I looked for other opportunities to secure free seeds.   I found the Free Seed Project.  Through this ...