Skip to main content

The Frugal Five: #87

 The Frugal Five: #87


With inflation on the rise and salaries not increasing, our ability to make ends meet keeps going down.    Therefore, we must be more careful with our money.   The Frugal Five is a series where we celebrate the daily or weekly activities that help us live a frugal life.    


This week I am exploring how to keep costs down during busy weeks.    Keeping dinner on the table instead of eating out is one of my strategies to get the job done.    Here are some of my tips and trips.   


1- Homemade Popsicles and Nice Cream


Over the summer, our family enjoys having a cold treat after a long day of work, play or just being.     Ice Cream made with limited whole ingredients, such as Bryers, typically costs $6.99 per ½ gallon tub.  This doesn’t last long at our house, so I will shop sales for this and supplement it with homemade Popsicles or Nice Cream.      


2- Garden Update


The garden has been producing its spring crops and they are ending.    I have harvested 6 cucumbers,  jalapenos peppers, 4-quart bags of sugar snap peas, 5-quart bags of spinach, 5-quart bags of kale, 3-quart bags of radishes, 1 zucchini, and 4 baby carrots.    In preparation for soup-making this winter, I have frozen several bags of kale and spinach.    In addition, I am processing the 9 jalapenos and placing them in my freezer for when the tomatoes come in and I can add them to our salsa to can.      The rest of the spring vegetables were eaten raw.  


3- Hair Care


You already know that I cut my husband's hair every other week for a savings of $30.00 + tip, but there are additional ways I save money while getting excellent hair care for myself.   First, My salon has a gift card promotion where you receive $20.00 for every $100.00 gift card you purchase.  I utilize their electronic gift card system, so it will never be lost, stolen, or forgotten when I go to the salon.   In addition, for every 10 visits, I receive a $50.00 courtesy gift card from the salon.    Finally, I can pick up great hair products at a reduced price or free when I watch the sale and combine them with coupons, and IBOTTA offers or request samples from companies.  Each week, I treat my hair to some TLC with these products.


4- Enjoying our Community Events 

Over the past few weeks, our community has provided us with free concerts, festivals, and movies.  In addition, there are other free activities such as hiking, community sculptures, and so much more.       We pack a meal, usually dinner, and enjoy the activities while eating alfresco and lounging on our camping chairs on the park’s lawn.   


Our Rich Backyard→ Free Entrance to National Parks


Living Life in the Cheap Seats→ June and July 2024


 


5- Growing Plants from Clippings


We love having real plants that fill the air with oxygen and beauty throughout our home, but purchasing plants can be expensive.    Therefore, we look for discounted plants that we can nurse back to good health or get clippings from friends, neighbors, or our work and propagate them by rooting them.     


What Free-bees have you been able to pick up this year?    My entire year is attached below.    


Here is my list:

Do you want to see what we did last week?   

Just click on the picture for the link. 



Please leave a comment below with your ways of saving money this week.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Black Bean and Corn Salad--> $0.44 per Serving

  Black Bean and Corn Salad This recipe comes from Pennies & Pancakes.   Unfortunately, this blog is no longer active, so I am not sure how much longer we will have access to her recipes.    Here is the link:   Black Bean and Corn Salad.   Therefore, I am repeating her recipe below, because it is just that good.  Makes 7 Cups  Ingredients:  2 15 oz. cans low-sodium black beans (drained and rinsed) 1 15 oz. can sweet whole kernel corn (drained and rinsed) 1 red bell pepper (diced) 1/3 cup red onion (finely diced) 2 scallions (finely diced) 2 cloves garlic (minced) 1/3 cup diced cilantro 2 Tbsp. lime juice (Or the juice of 2 limes) 1 tsp salt *opt. 1 small jalepeno (minced) Directions:  Open and rinse both the black beans and the whole-kernel corn.   Then place them into a bowl.  Next, cut up the pepper and onion.   Add it to the bowl.  Finely chop the cilantro and scallions,  and mince the garlic to add t...

The Frugal Five: #49

  The Frugal Five: #49 With inflation on the rise and our salaries not being able to keep up, it seems like we have taken a pay cut and must be more careful with our money.   The Frugal Five is a series where we celebrate the daily or weekly activities that help us live a frugal life.     .          1- Haircut Savings Since haircuts are $30 per cut plus tip, each time my husband asks me to cut his hair, I am happy to.    This is a huge saving!   He gets his hair cut every other week, so on average, we save $60 per month on just his haircuts.    2- Beverages from Home  Each day I make coffee and take a travel mug with me to work.   In addition, I make homemade tea to pack for my lunch.    Since Starbucks’ coffee prices have gone up, my daily savings for my daily coffee has increased to about $5.75 per day.    In addition, sodas at work run about $2.00 per...

The Frugal Five: #46

  The Frugal Five: #46 With inflation on the rise and our salaries not being able to keep up, it seems like we have taken a pay cut and must be more careful with our money.   The Frugal Five is a series where we celebrate the daily or weekly activities that help us live a frugal life.     This week I focused on garden frugal ideas and savings.  Gardens take a lot of work and can take a chunk of cash.   Let's see how we can keep the price down and get the same results.          1- Free Seeds  How can we get free seeds and when do we start planting for the spring?   Previously, I was able to pick up seeds from my local library through a seed-sharing program.   However, since we moved, my local library doesn’t participate in this type of program.     Therefore, I looked for other opportunities to secure free seeds.   I found the Free Seed Project.  Through this ...