Skip to main content

The Frugal Five: #86

 The Frugal Five: #86


With inflation on the rise and salaries not increasing, our ability to make ends meet keeps going down.    Therefore, we must be more careful with our money.   The Frugal Five is a series where we celebrate the daily or weekly activities that help us live a frugal life.    


This week I am exploring how to keep costs down during busy weeks.    Keeping dinner on the table instead of eating out is one of my strategies to get the job done.    Here are some of my tips and trips.   


1- Side Hustle


Over the summer, I tutor a few students to keep up with my Orton Gillingham practices and earn a little money to pay for my Orton Gillingham training, observations, and supplies.     The money isn’t a lot, but every little bit helps. 


2- Hanging Laundry 

The weather has turned warm and combined with the nice breezes, it is great for handing laundry outside to dry. The saving are minimal, but this combined with the conservation of energy and the wonderful smell it gives to the clothes is wonderful.  


3- Spring Cleaning 


I know it is summertime, but this is when I have the time to Spring Clean my home.    I am going room by room, cleaning out all the cabinets, and deep cleaning the floors, windows, etc.     This gives my home a freshness that can’t be described.   In addition, I am selecting simple decorations to bring elegance to my house.    Over the past year, I printed pictures of beautiful statues from Hawaii for free and picked up frames on sale.   This, combined with the decor I already own, provides great touches to my home. 


4- Cooking from Scratch 

Since school is off for the summer, I have more time to cook and bake from scratch.   I noticed a few bananas turning ripe, so I made them into bread for breakfast or a snack.    In addition, I picked up milk when it was on sale, but it was going out of date, so I made yogurt, ice cream, and pudding.        


5- Free Flowers

We have several rose bushes in our front beds.  When blooming, I cut a few for our dining room table.     My husband gave me a wonderful flower grid which I used in conjunction with my green class bowl to present them.    It was a beautiful combination.  


What Free-bees have you been able to pick up this year?    My entire year is attached below.    


Here is my list:

Do you want to see what we did last week?   

Just click on the picture for the link. 



Please leave a comment below with your ways of saving money this week.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Black Bean and Corn Salad--> $0.44 per Serving

  Black Bean and Corn Salad This recipe comes from Pennies & Pancakes.   Unfortunately, this blog is no longer active, so I am not sure how much longer we will have access to her recipes.    Here is the link:   Black Bean and Corn Salad.   Therefore, I am repeating her recipe below, because it is just that good.  Makes 7 Cups  Ingredients:  2 15 oz. cans low-sodium black beans (drained and rinsed) 1 15 oz. can sweet whole kernel corn (drained and rinsed) 1 red bell pepper (diced) 1/3 cup red onion (finely diced) 2 scallions (finely diced) 2 cloves garlic (minced) 1/3 cup diced cilantro 2 Tbsp. lime juice (Or the juice of 2 limes) 1 tsp salt *opt. 1 small jalepeno (minced) Directions:  Open and rinse both the black beans and the whole-kernel corn.   Then place them into a bowl.  Next, cut up the pepper and onion.   Add it to the bowl.  Finely chop the cilantro and scallions,  and mince the garlic to add t...

The Frugal Five: #49

  The Frugal Five: #49 With inflation on the rise and our salaries not being able to keep up, it seems like we have taken a pay cut and must be more careful with our money.   The Frugal Five is a series where we celebrate the daily or weekly activities that help us live a frugal life.     .          1- Haircut Savings Since haircuts are $30 per cut plus tip, each time my husband asks me to cut his hair, I am happy to.    This is a huge saving!   He gets his hair cut every other week, so on average, we save $60 per month on just his haircuts.    2- Beverages from Home  Each day I make coffee and take a travel mug with me to work.   In addition, I make homemade tea to pack for my lunch.    Since Starbucks’ coffee prices have gone up, my daily savings for my daily coffee has increased to about $5.75 per day.    In addition, sodas at work run about $2.00 per...

The Frugal Five: #46

  The Frugal Five: #46 With inflation on the rise and our salaries not being able to keep up, it seems like we have taken a pay cut and must be more careful with our money.   The Frugal Five is a series where we celebrate the daily or weekly activities that help us live a frugal life.     This week I focused on garden frugal ideas and savings.  Gardens take a lot of work and can take a chunk of cash.   Let's see how we can keep the price down and get the same results.          1- Free Seeds  How can we get free seeds and when do we start planting for the spring?   Previously, I was able to pick up seeds from my local library through a seed-sharing program.   However, since we moved, my local library doesn’t participate in this type of program.     Therefore, I looked for other opportunities to secure free seeds.   I found the Free Seed Project.  Through this ...