Skip to main content

14 Days of Valentines: 2023

 14 Days of Valentine’s 


Each year I try to do something nice for each member of my family for the 2 weeks leading up to Valentine's Day.  With the inflation, health issues and the age of my son, it has become harder to surprise him and my husband with treats.    My goal this year is to spend less than $15.00 for the entire 2 weeks for both of them.       

I try to pick up special candies when they go on sale for 60%-70% off after Christmas, but this year I didn’t find any.    So this year, I am going with mom jokes and simple touches each day.   This may look like: making a special meal, unusual lunch items, baking a treat for the week or just writing a note.   


For my son, I will pick up special energy bars and make a batch of energy balls for him to get each day.   As a competitive swimmer, he will enjoy this treat. 


My husband is a little harder to surprise.   SInce he can no longer eat a lot of carbohydrates and/or sugar, special foods are out.    However, I can treat him well by bringing him coffee, getting him a sugar free creamer,  cooking some of his favorite Keto meals, or surprising him with a little yarn ball that we got when we were engaged and went on a pre-marriage  retreat. 


Last year I found a few different links to help with your 14 days of Valentines.   Here is where I found a few ideas that can be downloaded for free: 


Food Puns: 

 http://www.alittlemooreblog.com/printable-valentines-day-food-puns/



Knock Knock Jokes: 

https://thesimpleparent.com/valentine-knock-knock-jokes/


Lunch Box Notes: 

https://www.iheartartsncrafts.com/free-printable-valentine-lunch-box-notes/


** NOTE that each free item is not always appropriate for your situation or child, so be selective. 


More Budget Friendly Ideas

  1. Leave a personalized note for each family member to show them that you love them. 


  1. Print the Valentine Days Countdown sheet and tape a piece of candy to cover each day.    This will act like an Advent Calendar. 


  1. Be thoughtful and engage in a random act of kindness for each member of your family, such as taking out the trash, picking up the mail, or other chores that others typically do. 


  1. Make a special dessert for dinner one night and celebrate as a family.   Perhaps a game or movie night.   


  1. Cook special meals that your family doesn’t get every day.   This will be part of your meal planning and all no extra funds will go out of your budget. 


  1. Organize a special activity such as a museum visit, game night or other free activities in your area.   


If you would like to see last year’s 14 Days of Valentines, click the link: 


All in all, it is thoughtfulness that counts.  Each person is different and responds to different expressions of love.   You just pay attention and find the small things in life that bring joy and happiness to your family.   Enjoy this holiday that embraces love.    


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Black Bean and Corn Salad--> $0.44 per Serving

  Black Bean and Corn Salad This recipe comes from Pennies & Pancakes.   Unfortunately, this blog is no longer active, so I am not sure how much longer we will have access to her recipes.    Here is the link:   Black Bean and Corn Salad.   Therefore, I am repeating her recipe below, because it is just that good.  Makes 7 Cups  Ingredients:  2 15 oz. cans low-sodium black beans (drained and rinsed) 1 15 oz. can sweet whole kernel corn (drained and rinsed) 1 red bell pepper (diced) 1/3 cup red onion (finely diced) 2 scallions (finely diced) 2 cloves garlic (minced) 1/3 cup diced cilantro 2 Tbsp. lime juice (Or the juice of 2 limes) 1 tsp salt *opt. 1 small jalepeno (minced) Directions:  Open and rinse both the black beans and the whole-kernel corn.   Then place them into a bowl.  Next, cut up the pepper and onion.   Add it to the bowl.  Finely chop the cilantro and scallions,  and mince the garlic to add t...

The Frugal Five: #49

  The Frugal Five: #49 With inflation on the rise and our salaries not being able to keep up, it seems like we have taken a pay cut and must be more careful with our money.   The Frugal Five is a series where we celebrate the daily or weekly activities that help us live a frugal life.     .          1- Haircut Savings Since haircuts are $30 per cut plus tip, each time my husband asks me to cut his hair, I am happy to.    This is a huge saving!   He gets his hair cut every other week, so on average, we save $60 per month on just his haircuts.    2- Beverages from Home  Each day I make coffee and take a travel mug with me to work.   In addition, I make homemade tea to pack for my lunch.    Since Starbucks’ coffee prices have gone up, my daily savings for my daily coffee has increased to about $5.75 per day.    In addition, sodas at work run about $2.00 per...

The Frugal Five: #46

  The Frugal Five: #46 With inflation on the rise and our salaries not being able to keep up, it seems like we have taken a pay cut and must be more careful with our money.   The Frugal Five is a series where we celebrate the daily or weekly activities that help us live a frugal life.     This week I focused on garden frugal ideas and savings.  Gardens take a lot of work and can take a chunk of cash.   Let's see how we can keep the price down and get the same results.          1- Free Seeds  How can we get free seeds and when do we start planting for the spring?   Previously, I was able to pick up seeds from my local library through a seed-sharing program.   However, since we moved, my local library doesn’t participate in this type of program.     Therefore, I looked for other opportunities to secure free seeds.   I found the Free Seed Project.  Through this ...