Skip to main content

Frugal Friday


Making small changes that have big results.

On Friday’s I share 5 frugal ideas to help you maintain The Sweet Life on a budget.  These things will have money saving ideas and/or a way to enhance your lifestyle for very little money.

Meal Planning- The power of meal planning is fabulous alone without really applying more cost saving techniques to further cut your grocery bill.  For example, using a zero waste process to decrease the amount of items needed each week. I am starting to look at the zero waste concept and applying slowly and systematically to my meal planning process.  

Freezer/stocking up on easy meals- This week our local Kroger has Hillshire Kielbasa and Shrimp on sale.  Although we do not have this on the menu this week, we are picking up some of each and placing in the freezer/refrigerator for use when we have busy evenings  or find us in a situation where we didn’t plan on having a busy day. Both of these items can produce a quick, easy and alternative to pushing the take out button.  Here are some supper ideas: Kielbasa Hash, Grilled Kielbasa, Grilled Shrimp, Stir Fry w/ Shrimp, or Casserole Dish.

Fun and Cheap Activities- I checked my local community event calendar and found several activities which our family could take advantage of.  This upcoming Friday, June 29th is our local 4th Friday Celebration downtown. This event has an street fair feel and has many different companies setting up tables with free giveaways.  Although the event is free to get in, there are food truck and other vendors where you can purchase items. It’s a fun night to walk downtown, visit with friends, listen to music or other forms of entertainment and learn about different local companies.  


Library- Our local library has a great summer time reading program where the kids can set their goals and earn free books throughout the summer.  In addition adults have a summer reading program too. Just for signing up, you receive a free Whit’s coupon (local Frozen Yogurt Shop- Yummy) and have opportunities to win prizes.  In addition, to this summer reading program, we have several other summer reading programs to participate in such as Barnes and Noble, Half Price Books or Chuck E. Cheese.


Growing Plants from Clippings- My Basil Plant is growing very well, but I know that if I do not clip it, it will flower and become bitter.  Therefore, I am combining clipping the plant to avoid flowering and growing new plants from my clippings.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Black Bean and Corn Salad--> $0.44 per Serving

  Black Bean and Corn Salad This recipe comes from Pennies & Pancakes.   Unfortunately, this blog is no longer active, so I am not sure how much longer we will have access to her recipes.    Here is the link:   Black Bean and Corn Salad.   Therefore, I am repeating her recipe below, because it is just that good.  Makes 7 Cups  Ingredients:  2 15 oz. cans low-sodium black beans (drained and rinsed) 1 15 oz. can sweet whole kernel corn (drained and rinsed) 1 red bell pepper (diced) 1/3 cup red onion (finely diced) 2 scallions (finely diced) 2 cloves garlic (minced) 1/3 cup diced cilantro 2 Tbsp. lime juice (Or the juice of 2 limes) 1 tsp salt *opt. 1 small jalepeno (minced) Directions:  Open and rinse both the black beans and the whole-kernel corn.   Then place them into a bowl.  Next, cut up the pepper and onion.   Add it to the bowl.  Finely chop the cilantro and scallions,  and mince the garlic to add t...

The Frugal Five: #49

  The Frugal Five: #49 With inflation on the rise and our salaries not being able to keep up, it seems like we have taken a pay cut and must be more careful with our money.   The Frugal Five is a series where we celebrate the daily or weekly activities that help us live a frugal life.     .          1- Haircut Savings Since haircuts are $30 per cut plus tip, each time my husband asks me to cut his hair, I am happy to.    This is a huge saving!   He gets his hair cut every other week, so on average, we save $60 per month on just his haircuts.    2- Beverages from Home  Each day I make coffee and take a travel mug with me to work.   In addition, I make homemade tea to pack for my lunch.    Since Starbucks’ coffee prices have gone up, my daily savings for my daily coffee has increased to about $5.75 per day.    In addition, sodas at work run about $2.00 per...

The Frugal Five: #46

  The Frugal Five: #46 With inflation on the rise and our salaries not being able to keep up, it seems like we have taken a pay cut and must be more careful with our money.   The Frugal Five is a series where we celebrate the daily or weekly activities that help us live a frugal life.     This week I focused on garden frugal ideas and savings.  Gardens take a lot of work and can take a chunk of cash.   Let's see how we can keep the price down and get the same results.          1- Free Seeds  How can we get free seeds and when do we start planting for the spring?   Previously, I was able to pick up seeds from my local library through a seed-sharing program.   However, since we moved, my local library doesn’t participate in this type of program.     Therefore, I looked for other opportunities to secure free seeds.   I found the Free Seed Project.  Through this ...