Gargoyle Love





Gargoyles


I have always loved finding Gargoyles throughout the cities I visited.  I was lucky to have lived
around or visited some very old cities such as Washington DC, Philadelphia, PA, New Orleans, LA
and Columbus, OH.  In addition, whenever I visit new cities, I always look at the building to see if I
can spy Gargoyles.

Originally Gargoyles were placed on buildings for a very practical reason- to redirect rainwater away
from the building.  This was important because if the rainwater would run down the side of the building
it would erode the mortar between the stone blocks.   As things happen over history, a folk lore
developed around the Gargoyles. The folk lore basically has the purpose of the Gargoyles to scare
off evil and to protect against evil spirits.  Therefore, the placement of the Gargoyles on buildings
throughout the old sections of town had two purposes: divert rainwater and protect against evil spirits.
Some of the most famous buildings with Gargoyles include Notre Dame Cathedral (Paris), the
Pennsylvania State Penitentiary(USA), Washington DC Cathedral (USA) and Siena Cathedral (Italy)
can be seen around the world today.

My mother in-law knew I loved Gargoyles, so she gifted me my favorite Gargoyle and he sits in my
office and reminds me of her often.  




In addition, when I go to different schools to substitute in rooms, I find examples of fabulous Gargoyles.  
Sometimes in statue form. Sometimes in picture form. Whatever the form, it makes me smile and I
enjoy the day just a little bit more.  Hopefully you appreciate this humble statue with it’s very practical
beginnings.




If you have a picture of a Gargoyle share it in the comments below and let us know where
we can find it.  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Frugal Five: #64

Frugal Five: 33

The Humble Egg